Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cold Outside, Warm Inside

We have harsh weather today. The neighborhood is blanketed with a quiet layer of snow, but pellets of ice are raining on the windows, as though someone is tossing small marbles against the house. Thankfully, I’m able to work at home, so I’m sitting in the living room, typing away on my laptop, wrapped in a blanket. There was no way I was going to brave those slippery roads just to sit at my desk in the office.

Even better, the school where JG teaches closed for today! Along with the excitement of the first snow day of this school year, it’s such a bonus that we’re home together and on Valentine’s Day. It’s certainly a far cry from last year, when we were apart for the entire day and only managed to have dessert together. Despite the icy, rattling weather, we’re making today a day for hot beverages, dark chocolate cupcakes, and gifts tied with red ribbons. Being snowed in has never had better timing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess if you're going to be stuck at home due to nasty weather, you couldn't find a better day than Valentine's Day! (Except for those people who have reservations at fancy restaurants or shows.)

I wrote about the weather myself this morning...but, unlike you, I have to go out and brave it in a few hours! :)

Waspgoddess said...

The description of your day sounds wonderful! When we woke up this morning neither of us wanted to go to work, but no icy streets here, so we had no valid excuse...

Looking forward to this evening though, we're going to bake a cake together (and then eat the whole thing).

Have a lovely day

Anonymous said...

My s/o are temporarily in NM (temporarily being two years - we're gone in September!). While I love the fact that we haven't had to deal with snow, sleet, slush, and ice, I do miss being able to snuggle up inside to escape the bitter weather. Have a great day inside!

L Sass said...

Oh school closures in Minnesota... Did JG get a phone call or does he have to listen for the school district on 'CCO like the rest of us?

I grew up in the Osseo school district, which came right after "Osceola, Wisconsin." A terrible tease!

Mikaela said...

Snow days rock :)